Monday, November 29, 2010

Anatomy of a Dress

I posted this pattern in the shop a couple days ago. If it had been anything even approaching my size, this would have stayed in my collection...


It's the details in vintage patterns that really call to me. Look at the way the jacket seam and skirt darts line up. Is this actually feasible, or just wishful illustration?

I love the little bow at the neckline of the dress, and the way the bodice curves under the bust. The first option highlights this so well with the two tone dress. Sadly, the jacket blocks the transition in the illustration.

Even the line drawings on this dress have allure.

I'll definitely be keeping scans of this one in my inspiration file. With some planning, I'm sure I can use details from this pattern in a way that would suit me.

What about you? Do you take details from patterns to use on other ones later? Do you ever add vintage details to modern patterns to save on fit changes?

No comments: