Thursday, January 17, 2013

Thinking about Spring

It's been in the works for a while, but now it's official... On February 1st we're moving into our new apartment! It's a turn-of-the-century low rise, with many of the original features intact. You can expect some DIY decorating posts and plans over the next few months for sure. Imagine me grinning insanely right about here.

In preparation for the big move I've been going through my supplies, trying to be honest about what I'm never going to use and planning out garments I need. A shirt takes up a lot less room than 2 yards of fabric somehow, so I'm trying to sew at least a few things beforehand.

Top: Scout Woven Tees in polka dot rayon and raspberry linen
Middle: Lisette Portfolio Dress view B in bronze coloured textured rayon with scribble dots
Bottom: Moss Skirts in vintage printed linen and chambray with pastel pinstripes
All of the garments in the set above use fabric and patterns I already have. The raspberry Scout is all cut out and ready to go, possibly to be sewn up later today? It's so awesome having patterns with the fit issues already worked out on hand.

I also played around on Polyvore, trying to get a feel for which direction I want my Spring/Summer wardrobe to go in. here's what I've come up with so far.

Picnic in the Park
Picnic in the Park by hooksvsneedles  

Which of course made me want to run off and buy MORE fabric. Must resist. At least until after we're settled in.

Also as part of downsizing pre-move, everything in my Etsy shop is currently 20% off, and I am frantically listing new things every day until the move. When I'm not wardrobe dreaming anyway.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

First Make of 2013

I finished my first ever Scout Woven Tee at about 3am January 2nd, making it the first completed project of 2013. You may remember the fabric, which I originally said was 1 meter, but ended up being about 1.5. It's kind of sad that just under two years is a pretty short stay in my stash at the moment. I really need to sew some of that down.

Here's a closeup of the neckline. It lies more or less flat, and when I'm not awkwardly trying to photograph my own neck the bias neck binding doesn't show at all.

Here's the run down:

Size Made: 18
Alterations: 3" FBA, could have stood another inch, added with a dart. I also did what I'm calling a Fat Upper Arm Adjustment, or FUAA, to add half an inch to the sleeves. Without this, I may have needed to be cut free from the shirt. French seams all around.
Fabric: Open-weave possibly cotton/linen blend, 1.5 meters
New Skills: Setting in sleeves, edgestitching facings, French seaming curves.
Total Cost: About $9.50 including fabric, pattern and thread. I borrowed my mom's printer, so I'm not counting that.
Verdict: I need about 20 of these. 

Special thanks to Brian's sister Alina for the first photo, and their parents' kitchen for the location.