Monday, November 15, 2010

Itchy Fingers

You may remember I started on this dress way back in April:

Well, I'm still working on it. I have almost all the pieces cut out of some fantastic red and black flower print rayon, and I've almost gotten all the pleating finished. I had a little meltdown when I realized I have to do the sleeves twice, and that's part of why this is still sitting on my sewing/dinner table. I'm thinking of trying for a big push this week and getting the last of the sleeves cut and pleated. I'm running out of clothes here, and being a student in November... Let's just say I either get stitching or start showing up to class wearing pinned together dishtowels.

To try and urge myself along I've been checking out my options for my next project.

I love the collar and pockets on this dress. I picked up the pattern back in February from Historically Inspired Patterns, which has a huge selection. This is a half-size pattern, which gave me pause at first. After taking some more in depth measurements, I'm pretty sure I should be using half-size patterns more often. I have a very high waist, so the shortened bodice might be just the thing. I've never fitted a dress like this though, and after all these pleats I think I need something a little simpler.

Like this dress, a super simple mail order pattern from the 70s. I picked up this copy from Zip Zap Kap back in January, but I know I have another copy in a smaller size kicking around from a lot I won... A 36 bust I think? I'll have to post that one in the shop one of these days.
The only problem with this dress is that it's sleeveless and too much of a summer dress.

So I went through my pattern stash looking for a simple dress with sleeves, and came up with Simplicity 5960.


This is a more recent addition to my stash, and I picked it up because of it's close resemblance to my favourite dress of all time, a fitted at the top a-line shift. The kimono sleeves on this pattern are very appealing, since they're all sewn in one piece with the dress. They'll aid in my quest for several dresses all in a, well, jiffy. I have some fantastic vintage heavy weight rayon and a floral wool-blend, which will really help dress up the shape. I'll also be going for in seam pockets instead of all this patch business. Too casual, yes? Though the gal in the brown stripes seems to be doing ok, with her heels, snazzy beads and white gloves!

Of course, this may all just be idle dreaming since there`s two weeks left of the semester and I`d really like to finish my undergrad one of these days...

No comments: