Monday, March 28, 2011

Do I like a challenge?

Maybe? I don't own a bathing suit. There are a few reasons for this, one being that I am extremely top heavy so finding anything that comes near fitting is kind of impossible. So I'm considering sewing my own, and maybe using the BurdaStyle pattern Allison as a start. I really like the vintage vibe and the double bust support straps. I'd have to play around with it a lot though. I'm thinking of adding a band under the bust and connecting it to the back tie for more support and using some kind of extra sport stretch fabric to line the cups. I really don't want to put bra cups the suit. Not so good when wet. Also adding some ruching down the sides for less super-revealingness.

I feel like this is one of those projects that would really make owning a serger worth it.


Any other bigger ladies tried sewing a bathing suit before? I would love some tips on this one.

3 comments:

khristie B said...

I will be watching this challenge with interest. Good luck.

Jenny said...

Do it! Do it! I've seen really cute versions of this and would love to see your process. I made a bathing suit years ago. It came out ok. I'm sure I could do better now.

Madelaine said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I think I'm going to give it a shot in early May.