Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Days 4 & 5



Day 3 was just the dress from Day 1 and the jacket from Day 5. No photo, but I'm sure the outfit will be repeated. The me-made skirt I'm wearing today isn't as long as it looks in the photo, it actually stops right at my knee. Brian keeps taking pictures from way above me. Usually because he's taller than me, but this time he had extra help from a flight of stairs.

I finished the skirt last night and decided it was a bit too wide, so I removed a couple inches from the back this morning. The front section has a waistband with interfacing and the back waist is a channel with elastic, just like the one I was checking out in a rather overpriced store yesterday... Their version also hit me right at the widest part of my thigh, and I wasn't having any of it. That said, I'm going to hem this one up another couple of inches so that it's just above my knee. A little more flattering I think.

About an hour after today's photo, it started raining pretty hard. I was on my bike. As such I've discovered the nice thing about mystery synthetic fabric from the Goodwill is that it dries really, really fast.

Browsing through the Flickr group before the start of Me-Made-May, I was impressed by how many garments everyone had managed to make for themselves. I'm hoping the desperation of only having two garments at the beginning of the month will spur me on to finish my half finished projects and inspire me to make new ones. If not for the dread of wearing one of the first too garments again I don't think I would have worn this skirt out of the house today. I'm glad I did, since it ended up a lot more wearable than I expected. I also learned a lot I wouldn't have otherwise, like it needs to be shorter, needs pockets and next time I'm using a cotton with a bit more drape and heft.

Now I'm off to do the blog rounds and see what everyone else is wearing!

In other news, there are new patterns up in my etsy shop as promised. I'm also running a special this week where if you buy three, I'll add on a free fourth mystery pattern (trust me, they're good ones). It's a belated celebration of the end of term. Wasn't entirely sure I'd make it through by the end there... I've been hearing that a lot this year. Hopefully four months of rest and sewing will re-energize me for next year. Wait until you hear about my thesis plans!

No comments: