Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Preparing for Me-Made-May

My sailor pants, based on the Ruby pattern from Burdastyle, are nearing completion! The inspiration for these came from this post by Zoe at 'So Zo...' but it looks like quite a few people have tried pants with this pattern. The fabric I used was super ravely, so I've been binding all the seams. I doubt I will ever do this for another garment, especially once I get my serger back from storage, but the practice on all those seams has been great. All that's left are pockets and button holes. And hemming. And likely some other things I've forgotten about.

Vogue 1120 is traced out and ready to be cut. I'm a little apprehensive about the slippery rayon, so I think I'm going to tackle something simpler first. I got a wild 90s patterned Ports skirt made out of cotton lawn at Goodwill yesterday, and I think it's going to be the perfect start for a Sencha blouse. The skirt buttons up the front with big mother of pearl buttons that are amazingly high quality. They're on par with some vintage ones I got in a lot a while ago, very thick and milky. I'm going to cut the back of the blouse out of the front of the skirt and the front from the back. It should work, and then I don't have to do all the finicky buttons and such. Which means I might actually get this done for May.

Also under consideration is the bwof 02-2009-124 dress in a crazy pink 80s print I inherited from my mother. The dress has a deep v back and needs something casual to keep it from being too dressy. That and I possibly have an obsession with wacky 80s and 90s prints. Just saying. It also only goes up to a 46, so I'll have to draft it up a size. The 46 fits me just fine in Burdastyle patterns though, so maybe I'll have to recruit a measuring tape and see. I got three issues of Burda Plus in the mail on Monday (my last big purchase until the fall. Accursed student budget!), and I'm thinking of whipping up this simple top (Spring/Summer 2009 top 405) in some leftover navy cotton shirting from the Ruby pants. Once again, inherited from my mom's stash. Same with the corduroy the pants are made from. Actually, pretty much all of my fabric is from my mom or Goodwill. My only fabric purchases from a proper store of late have been remnants, interfacing and 3.5 yards of gorgeous leaf green cotton sateen. The sateen is for Simplicity 6194, a 1965 shirtdress I got from Gremly Girl. I haven't worked up to it yet - soon though!

I had a bunch of photos of the handwarmer pattern I've been working on, but the computer at work won't read my camera (okay, phone). The first draft of the pattern came out way too big in the hand, so I'm working up another smaller one to see if it's better. I'm also changing the thumb around a bit to minimize holes. I meant to have this done a week ago, but it takes way longer than I expected to write out a non-hat pattern. Should be up in the next couple days.
I'll also be updating my etsy shop in the next few days with some great 50s and 60s patterns, as well as some 80s knitwear books. Lots to do, so I better get cracking!

No comments: